Friday, March 30, 2007

The Power of the Internet

As the saying goes, with great power comes great responsibility. And those of us who use the internet do wield at least some power.
As I posted earlier I received a cease and desist notice. At first I thought it was over the top but then, upon reading the post in question, I realized that they actually had a good reason to be pissed. (I posted a full name and the possibly less than legal activities that they may or may not have engaged in). This person may be applying for jobs, have a child who does google searches, or just may not want their name posted in a public forum and I have to say that isn't a lot to ask. I forget that as much as I assume that the only people that read these recollections and thoughts may be friends or friends of friends it is still available for everyone or anyone to read and there is a certain responsibility that goes along with that. I will be combing through my past posts and changing or deleting names if I feel it is warranted.
Lesson learned. Welcome to the internet.

3 Comments:

Blogger WillieBHines said...

Still -- a cease and desist? Why not just an email saying "hey -- that's unfair and possible damaging stuff you've done." I don't know. There's something weirdly inhuman about going right to a lawyer, or a lawyerly-like act FIRST. Still, I'm glad to see you've worked it out.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Well, at least they didn't sue you first. The important thing is you're cool and they never will be, which is why they spend their day Googling themselves and sending cease-and-desist MySpace messages to writer/performer/bloggers who have more wit and vim than they could ever dream of having. Sorry, sometimes I rant.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Rachael Mason said...

Well this was a cease and desist request from the person in question, not from a lawyer, and it was done via MySpace as I guess that's the only way to get a hold of me....
Still it was a wake up call as my intention is not to damage anyone's reputation (other than my own)....

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home